Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Setting Fire to Liars


Every so often I let loose the hounds of hell.
They snarl and snap incessantly at my moral mind.
Easy exits emerge through frustration, compelling me to cross altruistic lines.

Compassion and kindness may pour from a proud fountain,
But malevolent thoughts taint these waters without warning.
It can poison the heart of man—pauper, knight, or king.

What should you do when you can’t be loved back?
Rip the past to shreds? Convince your heart that it’s all in your head?
Directing your desires to the track of success and street cred.

Who is the new Boss of America anyway?
These wives want to be John Wayne and their husbands live life questioning.
Universality of self-assurance reigns over compromise, acceptance and everything.

I did all those things they asked me to with a perpetual smile.
Looked out across society’s vast panorama, ready to walk the earth.
I’ll pose as an “X” slacker for now, but am reluctant of Kurt’s flannel shirts.

What can I do but struggle to keep this mind upright?
And adjust my pack’s straps tighter while these people pile up higher.
Feeding on help and insight, setting fire to liars.

RwmG

No comments:

Post a Comment