Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Zach Lipkins- Air Whales


The positively down-tempo music of our good buddy-Mr. Zach Lipkins(a resident of Pdubz, USA)-has definitely cemented it’s place among the Bonobo’s and Thievery Corporation’s of the world on my “2-5am & and Thoughtfully Stoned” Itunes Playlist. For anyone who hasn’t gotten a chance to get down to some of Zach’s head-y jams, letss do diss!…

I might not have really paid notice to it so much when I first played his album, Air Whales, but I can’t help but feel good blasting some of these mind picking,organic-done-electronic tracks straight from Zach. I think this album is so soothing, it's gotten to the point where my ADD-esque mind is just fine with letting it play from end to end, if only it could get rid of this head cold.

After much deliberation, I think that Sebra has become that one most auspicious track that my mouse gravitates to initially on this tracklist. It starts off with the hollow sound of finger’s rubbing across a guitar fret, moves into some head bobbing soft break beat’s, and adds a little repeating synth progression. All the while, some of the sounds make me feel like I am inside of a freshly OCD-cleaned out Illadelph, or simply floating through something very fluid.

The one live show I was able to attend of Zach’s last year nearly blew me and the rest of the 20 Pratt crew right off our seats (yes, this was quiet, sit down show amongst scholars )…and into the quietest dance off ive ever been a part of. I am excited to catch his next show (TBA), which will hopefully include a longer set and some Gavin Castleton (Gruvis Malt) live vocals. I think someone should work on getting Zach to throwdown some late night sets in the near future, i got a few ill dance moves ready for that night.

PS. ask Zach how to get a copy of the album at zlipkins@gmail.com or at myspace.com/zachlipkins

No comments:

Post a Comment